Friday, May 17, 2013

Who Am I???

Now that I have been involved in this project, or job,  for a couple of years, I need to determine just who I am.  What do I mean by that??? Well..... when I am introduced to new people, the inevitable question is: "What do you do?" or "Where do you work?"  I am never quite sure what title to give myself or should I say allow myself to have.  I need to be comfortable saying, "I am an artist."

art·ist 
/ˈärtist/
Noun
  1. A person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
  2. A person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.
When I look at this definition as provided by google, I fit the mold.  I just need to embrace it.  I get nervous saying that is what I am.  I cannot explain why... as I love my job more than anything else I have ever done.  I am taking a hobby and making it my life's work.  I feel like people will lump me into some sort of category or preconceived notion, or they won't see my work as art.  I realize art encompasses a lot, but does it encompass painted furniture?  How about taking old junque and finding new ways to look at it..... look at the little vintage suitcase table, a transformation that really has a delightful result.
 
I see art in this, but do others?  Art is subjective, peaceful, angry, happy, colorful, whimsical, catchy, joyful, humorous, different ~ Oh my goodness, I could go on and on with what art is and I can take those same descriptors and apply them to me... what does that mean?  It means that I AM AN ARTIST!
 

2 comments:

  1. You are an artist indeed. You have the heart and passion of an artist. Embrace it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most definitely an artist, and an amazing one at that! I am so glad you are able to share your talents with so many people.
    Most importantly, you are an amazing person!!! Keep on creating!
    Goos

    ReplyDelete