Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Painting is not for Pansies

Ok folks, I came out of retirement to paint the shop. As many of you know, we like to move on a regular basis so I have spent many an hour painting. After many long hours behind the brush, I chose to go the "hire a professional" route. A much better choice than the "do it yourself." Unfortunately, my business plan budget did not include the "professional painter." The end result will look fantastic. I am going to look at the bright side: Climbing up and down the ladder is like a great set of squats. I get to listen to great music while I am in the shop because there is no other form of entertainment at this point. I get to enjoy the company of my children while I spend at least 1-2 hours during the day. In addition, I have to use my creative juices to come up with activities during that 2 hour window to keep them occupied. Thus far, worksheets (Hank's least favorite), food (Sawyer's most favorite), videos, books, and the Godforsaken DS.

In addition, to making the shop pretty, there is much going on behind the scenes. I am in the process of shopping out credit card merchants. This is a racket!!!!! For every credit card transaction, this middle man gets a small percent of the sale! FYI to my future customers, paying with cash and or check would be greatly appreciated! I am building up stock and have some incredibly cute items. I love shopping for the girlie items because with two little guys at home, this is my girl shopping fix! God did not bless me with a girl, for fear of our bank account going bust! I am also learning this QuickBooks Point of Sale software. I am not a natural. Technology is not my friend. I am trying to talk to it and wine and dine it, but the learning is not easy.

My husband has been a saint, he works long days and still goes to the shop at night to knock out some honey do's. In addition, my parents have been great support. They have been kind enough to hang with my little one's to give them a shop break. Videos and DS only go so far and do not equal a day at the pool or park.

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. Keep August 27th on your books. We will be having the ribbon cutting and grand opening at 9:30 that morning. There will be some goodies and photo ops!

No comments:

Post a Comment